Senex STEM ScholarshipSTEM Scholarship Flyer
The opportunities technological innovations present to benefit our community will only be fully realised by inspiring you, the next generation, to pursue science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) disciplines.
About the Senex STEM Scholarship
The resources sector has always been at the forefront of embracing innovation and Senex Energy is committed to playing its part in encouraging more students to pursue STEM degrees.
Through the Senex STEM Scholarship, we can help address the growing demand for skilled professionals in traditional fields like our gas operations and emerging fields such as artificial intelligence, renewable energy, and biotechnology.
Senex is offering 2 x $10,000 scholarships to Year 12 students graduating in 2023 who have undertaken most or all of their schooling within the Surat Basin region and are on a post-school pathway into full-time tertiary study in a STEM or STEM related field. A unique element of the scholarship is paid work and accommodation, where appropriate, during university breaks.
A $5,000 payment would be made to each successful applicant in April 2024 and again in April 2025.
To be eligible for the Senex STEM Scholarship, students must:
- Graduate from Year 12 in 2023.
- Have completed most or all of their schooling within the Surat Basin region.
- Be on a post-school pathway into full-time tertiary study in a STEM field* like engineering, geology, data analytics or environmental science.
- Not have been awarded another scholarship or bursary for study in 2024.
- Have lodged their application by 30 November 2023.
Expectations of recipients
- provide a statement and photos (or make themselves available for photos to be taken) that can be used in the media announcements about the scholarship.
- be available to gain ‘hands-on’ experience working with Senex personnel for six weeks preferably during the 2024 mid-year semester break and over the 2025-2026 semester break working full-time in Roma or Wandoan near to where Senex’s gas fields are located. A salary and accommodation, where appropriate, will be provided.
- provide proof of their successful completion of Semester 1 and 2 2024 course requirements, and continuing study in their STEM or STEM related field in 2025.
- provide an update to Senex about their study, including to Toolbox Talks, on how they have used the scholarship as part of their study.
- Assist with the promotion of the scholarship to future applicants.
Applicants will be assessed on:
- Their written submissions that will highlight:
- their intended pathway after Year 12 and why they have chosen this pathway
- how receiving this scholarship will assist them in pursuing their chosen pathway
- their education and ongoing connection to the Surat Basin.
- Their academic merit through the submission of their year 12 report card.
- The completion of a teacher endorsement form from school staff and a declaration form (by applicant, or parent/guardian if under 18).
- A STEM or STEM related degree being one of the student’s top 1-3 study preferences.
Female and indigenous candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should gather the necessary documentation and draft an application based on the selection criteria. The application should be no longer than two pages plus the following required documentation:
- Final Year 12 report card
- A completed teacher endorsement form
- Proof of your enrolment preferences in a STEM or STEM related course at an Australian university
- Any additional documents that may add value to your application and support the written components of the application.
You may submit documentation as it becomes available.
Submit the ‘online application form’, with the required documentation by 30 November 2023 to: [email protected]
- 29 September 2023: Applications open
- 30 November 2023: Applications close
- December 2023: Shortlisted candidates contacted and interviewed
- Early 2023: Recipients announced subject to receipt and acceptance of a university offer in a STEM or STEM related course.
Origin of the Senex STEM Scholarship
In 2021, Senex Energy CEO Ian Davies was awarded the Toowoomba Surat Basin Enterprise (TSBE) Leadership Award for his leadership within Queensland’s natural gas and resources sector. Ian donated his prize money towards the establishment of a Senex STEM Scholarship.